O mankind! if ye have a doubt about the Resurrection, (consider) that We created you out of dust, than out of sperm, then out of a morsel of flesh, partly formed and partly unformed, in order that we may manifest ( Our Power) to you; and We cause whom We will to rest in the wombs for an appointed term, then do We bring you out as babes, then (foster you) that ye may reach your age of full strenght; and some of you are called to die and some are sent back to the feeblest old age, so that they know nothing after known (much). And (further), thou seest the earth barren and lifeless, but when We pour down rain on it, it is stirred (To life), it swells,and it puts forth every kind of beautiful growth in pairs. ( Surah al- Hajj, ayat 5, Qur'an)

This is a blog about my experiences and my opinions, that is not to say what you believe is wrong or that what you choose for you and your baby is not right. I mean no offence with my blog and if I do offend please do not be afraid to leave me a comment to indicate areas I might need to edit.



Thursday 15 September 2011

sling review: African baby carrier (ssc)

My Deluxe African baby carrier arrived. The first carrier Ive bought in a while with no try out first.
My local sling library had not heard of it before so I researched myself and found this lovely website and facebook page with pictures and satisfied customer comments. The UK agent was very friendly and helpful in helping me to decide whether the carrier was for me.

www.africanbabycarrier.co.za
http://www.facebook.com/pages/UK-SA-Front-and-Back-African-Baby-Carrier/207521155953216

I was not disappointed. As soon as I got it out I could see how beautiful it was.
Colour: My carrier is green with a lovely brown striped accented pocket and sleep hood and hood straps.
Texture: Its a nice cotton canvas style material which is strong and durable yet soft. The body is not padded so nice and soft on the baby's body.
Dimensions: This is one of my favourite as many carriers are either too narrow, too wide, too short or too high. The body on this carrier is just the right height for my big 6 month old AND there is a fab zip at the base of the body which will allow me to extend it when he gets even bigger. Another fab part is the width as it goes nicely from knee to knee on my son and has soft cuffs to protect his legs. The belt looked very big in pictures but it is close to perfect. I have tried many padded waist belts on carriers and some have buckled under my baby or sat uncomfortably on the unpadded part but the wide belt on this carrier is very snug and comfy. The straps are long enough to be adjusted for male, female and different body sizes. The hood is nicely shaped to hug baby's head and can be adjusted to suit baby's height which I have not seen before in this way. Its lovely. The shoulder straps are in fixed rucksack position.
Support:If you were to use it with a little baby I would look into getting an insert like the one used for the ergo. Ive not tried it but I would investigate whether it would work. For my 6 month old however it is just right. The padded shoulder straps protect me nicely from his weight and the belt seems to help spread the weight well across my hips making my son seem very light, especially in front carry. He is well supported as the seat is deep enough and to make him snug the un-padded part of the shoulder straps can also be tightened.
Sleepy test: He soon fell asleep in the carrier and the hood was perfect to stop his head falling back. The hood straps are nice and long so can be reached easily when doing a back carry.
Recommend: This carrier is definitely worth buying if you are looking for a comfortable, beautiful, 3 months to toddler carrier. It is currently a small company in South Africa with an agent in the UK, but I believe if they traded here they would sell like hot cakes as they have all the good elements from other ssc's put into one.



This is my personal opinion and every carrier is different for different people depending on body shape and baby shape and size. So I would always recommend seeking out a sling library to try before you buy.

2 comments:

  1. Hi!

    I'm thinking about getting this as present for a friend, who just got not only a baby, but twins. So I was wondering what is your opinion about the carrier after three months. Are you still using it? Isn't it complicated or uncomfortable? (I have the feeling that it has too many straps and that in summer it would be too warm, compared to more basic and traditional african carriers)
    What do you think? Is it worth giving it a try?

    Thanks!

    BR,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi BR,
    My son is now 8.5 months and is a heavy little man. I still carry him in the acrrier and havent even unzipped the extension yet. The padded straps and waist band make it comfortable to carry him even as he gets heavier. In the summer he wears less clothing as my body gets quite warm. This carrier just covers him across his back so unlike the wraps and my other carrier the chunei it is quite airy. I find the carrier easy to put on as there are no fiddly knots and adjustments to make. Once it is set to your size it is very much like buckling up a rucksack. I hope this helps. I also know the lady who sold me the carrier would have given a refund if I wasn't happy with it.

    ReplyDelete